Saturday, August 6, 2011

Post Match: Rangers (A)

Leopards drew 0-0 with Rangers.

The report by Dennis Machio of MichezoAfrika states:-

A missed penalty by Rangers Captain and misfiring by AFC Leopards striking force ensured the two KPL teams share spoils in an entertaining match played on Friday evening at Nyayo stadium and graced by Prime Minister Raila Odinga who joined the fans at the start of the second half.

AFC Leopards fired the first salvo from a close range shot by Jimmy Bageya in the 7th minute but former Ingwe custodian Lawrence Webo denied the Ugandan an early goal. Rangers replied to the early attacks in minute 20 through a curled free kick shot from Juma Abdalla but AFC Leopards second choice keeper Patrick Matasi proved his pedigree with a fine save.Matasi a former West Sugar goalkeeper got his first test of the premier league after AFC Leopards’ first choice goalkeeper Barnabas Tiema pulled an injury before the match.

Jimmy Bageya went close again in the 31st minute following a good set up by Mike Baraza.Okwemba then presented Bageya with a good through ball past the goal line but the short Ugandan couldn’t connect to the ball.

Former Tusker man ,Oscar Kadenge presented Charles Okwemba with a tap in opportunity in the 38th minute but the former Rangers man misfired to send both teams to the break still deadlocked at 0-0.

After the break, AFC came back firing from all cylinders with Jimmy Bageya squandering the first second half chance when his left foot let him down and was unable to shoot. Mike Baraza tried a follow up but his shot went up past a comfortable Webo who is back in action after an injury lay off.

Rangers suffered a set back after Abbas Akiyemi got injured after a tussle inside the box and had to be substituted with Noah Misiko.Misiko almost made an immediate impact but AFC defense outwitted him.

On fire AFC Leopards continued pressing hard with Oscar Kadenge trying a long shot that keeper Webo parried out for a corner in the 71st.The corner missed the target much to the relief of rangers who were facing marauding attacks minute after minute.

Dutchman Jans Koops threw in Samuel "Misee" Mwangi in place of Kinje in the 76th minute to bolster his midfield. Rangers Coach David Ouma replied immediately by bringing in Jeff Odongo for Edwin Mwaura.

Rangers’ well timed attacks presented a God sent opportunity for the cash strapped team to notch what would have been a winner after Dan Kago was brought down by Martin Imbalambala inside the box with ten minutes remaining. Center referee James Kagara pointed to the penalty spot. Captain Pascal took the spot kick but the post denied him despite beating keeper Patrick Matasi.

The miss seemed to reenergize the partisan AFC Leopards crowd who urged their team on. Rangers got another set back after Tshiyoyo was shown a red card following a second yellow card with three minutes to the end of normal regulation time.

AFC Leopards almost grabbed a late goal deep into injury time but the heavens seemed numb to their prayers after several misses to end the match barren.

In the post match interview, Rangers Coach David Ouma said "Am happy with the performance of my players. We just needed one opportunity to utilize it and kill the game".

AFC Leopards coach Jan Koops was happy that his team "played football" in both halves.

KPL website had the story

FOUR minutes into added time, Mike Baraza would have won this one for AFC Leopards. But when he got into the six-yard box on the left flank, his squared ball going off the palms of Rangers’ goalie, Lawrence Webo, rolled across the face of goal but none of the three on rushing Leopards’ men reached it to tap into the net.

This concluded the tale of the night for Leopards in Friday’s Kenyan Premier League action under the National Stadium floodlights before SuperSport’s “live” cameras -- dominant over Rangers, so many scoring chances and lucky not to have come out with naught from the skirmishes.

Indeed Leopards were let off the hook when Pascal Ochieng’s 80th minute penalty kick boomed back into play off the cross bar. Danson Kago had had his legs cut off from inside the box by a desperate Martin Imbalambala for referee James Kagera to award Rangers the penalty. It was mighty luck for Leopards when Ochieng’, one of the surest takers in the land, made the rare miss.

Leopards had no problem building up their attacks from midfield and taking pot shots at Webo throughout the night. But Jimmy Bageya, at the top of the strike force, looked all wasteful and perhaps selfish. Baraza, Leopards’ skipper Charles Okwemba and Oscar Kadenge spent the whole evening with splendid supply to the tempestuous little Ugandan but without fruitful results.

The earned point helped Rangers to resume leadership of the table, at 34 points each swapping places with second-placed Tusker because of a better goal difference. Leopards moved to 10th [23 points] at the expense of Mathare United who vacated the position to drop down one.

Both teams had announced minimal changes from their previous fixtures but Leopards where forced into further adjustment when ‘keeper Barnabas Tiema sprained his thumb during warm-up and the largely untested Patrick Matasi had to step in.

Beaten 3-1 previous time out by Gor Mahia, Leopards would go in without defender John Amboko, club captain and defensive midfielder Nicholas Muyoti and attacker Francis Chinjili. Instead Martin Imbalambala, Salim Khamis and Oscar Kedenge made starts.

Rangers, for once, would not have the luxury of confidence like in so many of their previous forays which saw them stay in the hunt of the top spot. Their previous time out they could only manage a 1-1 draw with lowly Nairobi City Stars.

They were always headed for a struggle after injuries to dependable men such as Edward Kauka, Aggrey Ongoli, Benedict Oduor and Jaffar Gichuki who were to be sorely missed; starts being handed to Michael Kamadi and Tafadzwa Dondo.

Mulumba Tshiyoyo the new Congolese import on the Rangers’ side was hard working but his second yellow card for a foul in the 89th minute took him out of play in the final six minutes.

RANGERS - 16. Lawrence Webo: 23. Hashim Mukwana, 6. Abdalla Juma, 12. Mulumba Tshiyoyo, 24. Pascal Ochieng’ (captain), 28. Michael Kamadi, 14. Danson Kago, 5. Jacob Opere, 7. Edwin Mwaura (2. Jeff Odongo, 60’), 50. Tafadzwa Dondo (8. Oscar Olwith, 56’), 10. Abbas Akinyemi (17. Noah Misiko, 62’)

Reserves - 34. Victor Omondi, GK; 15. Benedict Oduor, 22. Joshua Okeyo, 30. Nicholas Auma,
Coach - David Ouma

AFC LEOPARDS - 1. Patrick Matasi: 5. Edwin Baraza, 24. Collins Kisuya, 4. Martin Imbalambala, 17. Jonas Nahimana, 22. Bernard Mang’oli, 27. Oscar Kadenge (14. Silas Aluvisia, 85’), 10. Charles Okwemba (captain), 11. Mike Baraza, 18. Salim Khamis (30. Samuel Mwangi, 76’), 50. Jimmy Bagaye

Reserves - 6. Nicholas Muyoti, 13. Edgar Waudo,, 7. Brian Masiolo, 21. Emmanuel Tostao
Coach – Jan Koops [The Netherlands]

Referee - James Kagera [Thika]
Assistant ref - Maryanne Njoroge [Kikuyu]
Asst ref - Jane Cherono [Nairobi]
Reserve ref - Brasan Mamati [Nairobi]
Match commissioner - Evans Mwachia [Mombasa]

3Gor Mahia189721710734
4Ulinzi Stars189632012833
6Karuturi Sports198561212029
7Chemelil Sugar197751714328
9Western Stima197571011-126
10Thika United197392226-424
11Mathare United195861716123
12AFC Leopards1972101722-523
13Sony Sugar185491221-919
14City Stars1936101019-915
16Congo United1935111230-1814

1 comment:

  1. You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be
    really something which I believe I'd never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely vast for me. I'm looking ahead on your next submit,
    I'll attempt to get the dangle of it!

    Feel free to surf to my blog ::